Monday, March 26, 2007

Funding Proposal

UPDATE:

The funding proposal was the first big project in the spring semester. Although we could choose any film topic to focus on, I decided to stick with the debutante idea.

The purpose of the paper was to teach us how to ask corporations or private donors for funding for our films. The proposals included a summery, a timeline, the major visuals, and style of our film. In this paper, I introduced my intent to shoot the film in Cary, NC with the Cary Debutante Ball Society.

Cary stood out to me for a number of reasons:
1. I find the Cary Debutante Ball Society intriguing because it was created only 10 years ago, as opposed to typical debutante societies.
2. Also unlike other debutante balls, Cary chooses its debutantes based on achievements of the young women, not their family name. These two elements are very important to me because they are reasons for my audience to care about Cary debutantes.
3. The debutante classes are much smaller than other balls. This made characters easier to identify and manage throughout the social season.
4. The schedule for the social season fits remarkably well with the academic deadlines for my thesis ending in May 2008.
5. Cary’s location is within reasonable driving distance for me to get to. Although I do live in FL during the school year, I lived living with my parents over the summer in northern VA. I could afford to drive to NC from either location, whereas one that is closer to FL would be harder to visit over the summer.